Ask yourself the question about the type of divorce that best suits your situation after asking your lawyer. The proposed costs will give you an idea of the budget to be allocated and possibly the credit to be subscribed.
Several types of divorce exist:
- Divorce by mutual consent: you agree on divorce and regulate its consequences in a convention.
- Divorce by acceptance of the principle of marriage breakdown: you agree on the divorce but not on the effects (alimony, custody of children …).
- Divorce for misconduct: one of you files a divorce application without the other’s consent by proving his fault. By default is meant the failure to fulfill the duties of the marriage (eg adultery …). This procedure is unfortunately longer … therefore more expensive!
- Divorce by definitive alteration of the conjugal bond: you or your spouse have not lived together for at least two years. The person who remains in the matrimonial home can ask for a divorce without the other spouse being able to oppose it.
The crucial problem during a divorce is child custody. What type of accommodation do you plan for your children? How to define the right of visit? What will be the amount of child support? Alimony is defined according to the needs of the child (cost of daily life, schooling …) and this, until it is financially independent.
The marital home
Can you keep the marital home? Under which conditions?
All these questions have answers adapted to the case by case according to your situation.
The compensatory allowance
Are you eligible for a compensatory allowance? If so, how is the amount fixed? The purpose of the compensatory allowance is to “compensate” for differences in living standards brought about by divorce. She can intervene in any divorce proceedings. The amount of the compensatory allowance is calculated logically according to the needs of the person requesting it and the means of the person who pays it.
Real estate and other
How will the real estate and movable property (share, furniture, liquidity, car) be shared? It all depends on the matrimonial regime under which you are united. Married under a community of property regime, you must obligatorily separate the property you have acquired in common at the time of your marriage. Debts are included in common “goods”.
How much does it cost?
The costs of your divorce are inherent in the cost of your lawyer. It is therefore important to agree with him a fee.
Price example of a lawyer’s consultation: 100 $
Good to know
The hourly rate of a lawyer is calculated excluding taxes, so think of including VAT at 20%. In the provinces, you can expect an average of between $ 1,000 and $ 4,000 in legal fees. In Paris, the rates are higher. The lawyer’s fees include the preparation of the file, the hearings … to add notary fees if you have property to share.
Separation often leads to hidden costs such as moving and buying furniture.
If you want to use a moving company, count between 800 and 1200 $ according to the chosen formula. For more information, visit our Moving page.
If you have to rent an apartment, think about the 3 months of rent that are to be deposited. One for the guarantee, one for the first month’s check and the last for the agency fees.
Need to refurnish? A page turns and a new life begins … Prioritize your purchases according to your needs. Sofa, bed, kitchen, appliances … here is a list that gives you an idea of the budget to allocate.
- For your room: bed, wardrobe, desk, sheets … Between 600 $ and 1000 $,
- For your living-dining room: sofa, table, chairs, equipment … Between 800 and 2000 $,
- For your bathroom: washing machine, shower curtain, bathroom mats … Between 500 $ to 800 $,
- For your new kitchen: stove, oven, microwave, refrigerator, cutlery, plan between 1500 $ to 2500 $.